About Our 24 Hour Initial Course
Who should take 24 Hour Initial Training?
29CFR1910.120(e)(3) outlines the requirements of initial training for hazardous waste workers and explains when workers must take 40 hours of initial training and when a 24 hour program is sufficient. The regulation requires general site workers who are engaged in hazardous substance removal or other activities that may expose the worker to hazardous substances and health hazards, receive 40 hours of initial training.
The regulation however, allows 24 hour initial training under either of the following conditions:
- Workers on site only occasionally for a specific limited task (such as but not limited to, ground water monitoring, land surveying, or geophysical survey) and who are unlikely to be exposed over permissible exposure limits and published exposure limits.
- Workers regularly on site who work in areas which are monitored and fully characterized indicating that exposures are under permissible exposure limits, where respirators are not necessary, and the characterization indicates that there are no health hazards or the possibility of an emergency developing.
Benefits of Technical Safety Institute's 24 Hour Initial HAZWOPER Course:
- Concise, real-world information and scenarios with the emphasis on useable knowledge that the site worker will remember.
- This course is designed by professionals to make the workers safer and more knowledgeable, not just enable them to pass a test.
- Easily understood and user-friendly format that the worker can sit through over a few days, or take at his or her own pace over a number of weeks.
- Hyperlinks to definitions and acronyms throughout to help eliminate confusion. These allow less explanation of more commonly known terms and ideas so that the more advanced student can more quickly move through the program.
- Real-world "tips" at the end of each module which are meaningful to the worker in his or her present job.
- Practice questions at the end of each module which give immediate feedback to the student on his or her understanding of the subject.
- Continuous clock that logs training time and menu that tracks coursework completed.
- An integrated e-mail system that connects each student with our qualified instructors who work every day in the hazardous waste industry.
- Each and every question will be routed to either a Certified Industrial Hygienist or a Certified Safety Professional, depending upon the question's content. A response is usually provided within one business day.
- An e-mail reminder 30 days from expiration of the initial training. After initial training, 8 hours of refresher training are required each year.
Testing and Issue of Certificates and Wallet Cards:
- After the curriculum has been completed and the student answers the practice questions at the end of each module, the final 50 question exam will be made available. 80% of the exam questions are taken directly from the study questions at the end of each module. The remaining 20% are taken from information given within the text of the modules chosen. The student must score at least 70% on the final exam to receive a certificate of completion and wallet card.
- Once the student has successfully completed the written exam, he or she will immediately be issued an electronic certificate which can be downloaded. A "hard-copy" certificate suitable for framing and credit-card quality wallet card will be produced and mailed usually within one business day from successful completion of the exam. Should the student fail the exam, he or she can re-take the exam as soon as desired after a brief review of the subject matter.